It’s a serious problem if your cat isn’t eating well. Cats are very picky about their eating habits. Refusing to eat may be concerning in pets, but it’s different with felines and threatening. Pet Insurance Sa helps support your furry baby with timely medical care during unplanned vet visits, Cat insurance helps you get the best treatment for your feline friend.
if your cat is not eating well, it will have to depend on the extra fat stock for energy. Before the surplus fat is used as fuel, the liver has to process it. Sufficient protein is required for this process. If your cat loses weight rapidly and stops eating, the protein supplies will soon be over, and the liver will swell from the fat. This results in a condition called lipidosis, which leads to liver failure.
When you see a change in your cat’s appetite, it may be a sign of illness, so visit your vet as soon as possible. The faster you provide medical help to your cat, the quicker you can offer something that will help your cat.
Stress and anxiety can cause the loss of diet in cats. If your cat is not eating like before, consult your vet on priority, as intake of less food will affect your cat’s health. Even a short time of eating less will affect healing from illness and the immune system. Lack of food intake causes liver issues in cats. Unlike canines, which can cope with irregular and less food intake, felines have to be given special care if they eat less as it may cause serious problems. They must be under observation to improve their diet. Put them on medication to increase and improve their diet.
There are many reasons for the loss in food intake, including pain and nausea. They tend to consume less if they are dehydrated or constipated. Changes in their daily routine or environment can put them off their diet.
Hints and Tips include:
- Cats might only take one type of food served at a time.
- Don’t try to force a prescribed diet on a cat when it’s sick and not eating correctly. If they had to follow such a diet, it might discourage the cats. They can be moved to such diets when healthy.
- Offer some of your cat’s favorite food, like fish or chicken that attracts them to the smell. If your vet allows it, motivate the cat to eat. Remember that there is a better way to feed the feline.
- To encourage your cat to eat, you can heat the food slightly to release the aroma. Whereas for some cats with nausea, the opposite must be done, where strong aromas should be kept far away.
- Keep your cats away from toxic food. Like the food that humans eat, such as gravies or spicy food, they may have onions and different sauces that your cat may be allergic to.
- Make them eat in calm and silent surroundings. Keep them away from all noise of a busy place, windows or even the washing machine.
- Use shallow cutlery for felines to eat. Cats like reflective bowls more than plastic or ceramic, as they taint the food.
- Segregate water bowls, food bowls and waste trays.
- Depending on the cat, some felines may like you to feed them, and some would want them to be left alone with their food. They will have it whenever they wish to.
- Forcing food on kittens may turn harmful. Let them eat stress-free. Pushing food on them or feeding them through a syringe may have a destructive medical impact on them or even, in some cases, discourage them from eating.
If these methods don’t improve your cat’s appetite, consult your veterinarian, as further treatment is likely needed. Pet Insurance Sa can cover a feline fur baby’s medical care during accidents, injuries, sickness, dental, and emergencies. Consider purchasing Cat insurance so managing unexpected pet health expenses is much easier in challenging times of health.