WHAT IS CLOUD BACKUP?
The strength of every business is the data they hold. Some information is considered to be very critical for the smooth functioning of the business. Losing important data can cause a major slump for the business. So, it is important to have a cloud backup.
Cloud backup is a service that provides backup, storage, and recovery of computer files. With the help of cloud backup solutions, the files are backed up and stored on a remote server. This provides security and reduces the risk of loss of data. Cloud recovery enables the user to recover the data stored in the cloud.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO USE CLOUD BACKUP?
It is essential for every business to use cloud backup to store their data for the following reasons:
- Cloud backup safeguards important data by storing it in a secure manner. The risk of loss of important information is less.
- In case of loss of any backed-up data, it can be restored with ease by using the cloud. It makes it easier for the business to gain access to the desired data.
- Cloud backup solutions help to control disasters and provide the users with solutions for the same.
- Cloud backup provides the user with flexible storage. The storage capacity of cloud storage can be scaled up or down.
BEST PRACTICES FOR CLOUD BACKUP AND RECOVERY.
1. SET OBJECTIVES FOR RECOVERY:
It is important to analyze and understand the objectives of the enterprise to set up an effective cloud backup and recovery. These objectives will act as the base through which all the decisions about cloud backup will be taken. The two important objectives are :
- Recovery Time objective – In this objective, the business has to decide “how soon” must it recover the data before the downtime becomes fatal for the business.
- Recovery point objectives – This objective determines how much data the business can afford to lose. The time between the backups is decided through the Recovery point objective.
It is important to have one or more backups. If you backup your data to a storage device that is placed in the same location, in case of any disasters both the original data and the backup will be destroyed. This is why it is important to choose a reliable cloud backup method and store data in it.
It is advisable to back up the data locally and in the cloud. Cloud backups have their redundancies but it is always beneficial to store the backup locally and to replicate them offsite.
3. IT MUST CONSIDER THE DATA LOSS AND DOWNTIME:
It is crucial to consider facts like data loss and downtime. Redundancy ensures that the data is safe, but once the system goes down, the business may go into a slump. So, the data must be safe and also accessible.
Consider how the cloud can help you in the recovery process. While choosing a cloud backup solution, analyze how long it would take to download a backup from the cloud. Our primary motive must be to reduce downtime and prevent data loss.
4. SUMMARISE DATA INTO CATEGORIES:
Data storage has become easier and cheaper. But an efficient business will not waste any storage. Therefore, it will be advisable for the business to categorize data. The more important data can be backed up and replicated. While the data which is not used often can be archived.
5. CONSIDER USING A RECOVERY CLOUD:
Various cloud backup solutions offer us a stable and reliable cloud backup. But it is also wise to consider the recovery of data. The recovery must be fast without compromising the originality of the data. And there must be minimized risks of downtime with increased data security.