Heart attack, which is also known as myocardial infarction, is caused by a blockage of blood flow to the heart muscle. It is caused when an artery supplying blood and oxygen to the heart gets blocked. A heart attack is a medical emergency, when the artery is blocked, tissues will lose oxygen and die.
It is vital to provide immediate medical help to a person who is having a heart attack. It is advisable to go to hospitals with a specialization in cardiology. Narayana multispeciality hospital/clinic is the best heart hospital in Bangalore. Ramaiah Narayana Heart center is another best heart hospital in Bangalore.
SIGNS OF A HEART ATTACK :
The symptoms of heart attack vary for different people. Some people may experience mild pain while others may feel more severe pain. Some people have a sudden heart attack, but many others have symptoms in advance.
Your symptoms may come in slowly over a course of several hours and they may come in intense and sudden. The earliest warning of a heart attack is recurrent chest pain. Some symptoms of heart attack are:
- CHEST PAIN: One of the common signs of heart attack is discomfort in the chest. It may be recurrent, it will last for a few minutes, and then disappear. It may feel like mild pain, uncomfortable pressure, or squeezing. Chest pain gets worse with exertion and it gets better when you are resting well.
While chest pain is the most common symptom of heart attack, some people may not experience it. About one-third of people with heart attacks do not experience chest pain. Older adults and people who have diabetes are likely to experience a heart attack without chest pain.
- FEELING WEAK: Another important symptom to notice is that you will feel weak. You may feel light-headed and you may even faint. Because of these symptoms, you may also break into a cold sweat.
- DISCOMFORT: You may feel discomfort in other areas of the upper body. You may feel mild pain in one arm or both arms, neck, back, or stomach. The pain starts in your chest and gradually spreads to the other parts of the upper body.
- DIFFICULTY IN BREATHING: You may experience shortness of breath, this may be accompanied by chest pain. You may feel breathless even when you are doing only a tiny activity which is easy. Apart from chest pain, shortness of breath is one of the important symptoms of a heart attack.
- OTHER SYMPTOMS :
- Lightheadedness or dizziness.
- Cold sweat.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Heart palpitations, especially in women.
- Cough, especially in women.
- Extreme fatigue.
SILENT HEART ATTACK SYMPTOMS :
When a heart attack does not cause obvious symptoms, it is known as a silent heart attack. A silent heart attack may offer some mild symptoms. Silent heart attacks are more common in women than in men. Some of the symptoms are :
- Chest discomfort that lasts a few minutes. It may come and go.
- Discomfort in your neck, jaw, back, or stomach.
- Cold sweat.
- Shortness of breath
A heart attack is a medical emergency. The faster you react to it and rush to the hospital, the higher are your chances of surviving the heart attack. If you get help faster, the damage caused to your heart muscles will also be less.
If you are feeling the symptoms of a heart attack, do not wait for more than 5 minutes before calling for help. Get the help of a doctor and follow the doctor’s instruction to fight the heart attack and come back stronger.